Second Baptist Church of Ann Arbor is a Christ-centered church led by the Holy Spirit. Our philosophy is “Enter in Silence… Wait in Prayer… Worship with Reverence… Depart to Serve..” We believe in the Holy Bible as the divinely inspired Word of God, and our preaching and teaching is based on God’s word. We are the oldest predominantly African-American church in Ann Arbor, established in 1865.
In the beginning, the first congregants gathered for worship at a frame cottage on the southwest side of Elizabeth and High Streets. As the congregation increased, the Church purchased property located at 216 Beakes Street and a new edifice was constructed. By 1951 the congregation once again outgrew the house of worship. A new plan for expansion was developed which included tearing down the original structure and rebuilding the church in 1952. That building was used for worship services and a daycare until the construction of our present edifice located at 850 Red Oak Road in 1980. Our church has had eighteen Pastors, with the latest three (3) serving a total of eighty (80) years.
We have a church-wide program of multiple Ministry opportunities of which every member can be a part. We have more than 25 functioning in-reach auxiliaries along with several outreach ministries. We are hungry to continue to spread the truth of God and the saving grace of Jesus Christ beyond the confines of the church building.
Our most recent construction project, the Emmett L. Green Education Wing, which is annexed to the church building, was named for its visionary our Pastor Emeritus, Emmett L. Green. This building will function as a learning and information resource center serving the church and community at large. We are very excited about the blessings the Lord will bring to the community and our congregation through this new facility, and we will be sure to give Him all the praise, honor and glory with every accomplishment and success.